Monday, June 4, 2007

Birthday weekend



Well, I am officially one year older (I am now 25) and I spent my birthday in Australia for the second time. Last time was when I turned 20. My actual birthday was pretty uneventful, but we spent a nice day in the City on Saturday.

Kieran and I took the ferry from Manly over to the City. It is about a half hour ride and totally gorgeous. When you arrive in the city you go right past the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc. We took a little stroll around Circular Quay and then got some sandwiches and sat on the Opera House steps to eat...really nice spot to people watch! The sea gulls on the other hand, are torture!!


The Opera House is a very unique building with lots of history. We took a guided tour that lasted about an hour. We got to go in the different theaters and the main concert hall which was huge! Definitely something to check out for future visitors...they have all sorts of shows as well. There were some Americans on our tour who were quite obnoxious. Made me sort of embarrassed actually - just loud. You can check out more about the opera house at this website:
www.sydneyoperahouse.com.
I know some musicians in the family who would be super interested in the organ: like 300+ pipes or something - unreal!

After our tour we got an ice cream and wandered
through the Royal Botanical Gardens (photo at the top of page and far right). Very nice spot for a picnic, nap, run, or all of the above! Not a ton of flowers right now since it is winter, but really nice regardless. Then it was back on the ferry and then home for a quite evening.
Everyday on my day to work I pass the Bia' Hai' temple. I have been curious about what it is like so I ventured there for mass on Sunday. It is a "all-denominational" temple. The ceremony included readings from all different religions and was just very meditative. Not sure if I would go there regularly but still an interesting place in my new neighborhood!
It was a relaxing weekend and I am feeling more settled but still like a tourist at times. School is getting more routine and I am not as stressed anymore. The kids are great and I do not feel like an outsider at all. If you would like to check out their website it is:
Also, Kieran's rugby team has a website: http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au . They are tied for first place right now so it has been good for Kieran....easier to get/keep sponsors when the team is doing well!
K, I'm off -what do ya think of my first, real blog page?? :)

1 comment:

cg said...

Hi Angie! Thanks for starting a blog. It will be interesting to read of your adventures. Send us a reminder message now and then so I don't forget to check the page! Meanwhile ... have fun down there. Glad you're enjoying your job!